Pretoria Central Prison is one of the first prisons
in our Department's history; this is where observation was born, according to
history of this department, female members were allowed to work with male offenders when the first Social Workers were appointed on probation. Today the
Welfare Services is the key component of rehabilitation program of the inmates.
The first cell walls were built with bricks, doors were wooden and the floors
were covered with grey slates.
An interesting escape happened at this centre; thirteen offenders lifted one of
the slates and dug a tunnel which led to the street. In the morning the
prisoners used a wheelbarrow to transport soil outside without being noticed.
were rearrested and floors were cemented in 1884.
The first training of personnel started in 1913 with the establishment of the
first depot at this centre. Courses took months and probation warders were
subjected to intensive training in drill, marksmanship, self defence, physical
training, first-aid and Prisons Act and Regulations.
The Olympic size swimming pool that is next to the correctional centre was built in 1935.
Although one of the first, Central Correctional Centre has undergone several facelifts and
it is still operational up to date.