National Commissioner of the Department of Correctional Services – Mr Makgothi Samuel Thobakgale
Mr Makgothi Samuel Thobakgale was appointed as acting National Commissioner of the Department of Correctional Services (DCS) on 27 September 2021. He first joined DCS in September 2020 as Chief Deputy Commissioner (CDC) responsible for Incarceration and Corrections.
Commissioner Thobakgale has vast working experience in the public sector, with more than 17 years at senior management level in different government departments. Prior to his appointment in DCS, he was Deputy Director-General: Small Harbours, State Coastal Properties Development and Special Projects in the National Department of Public Works and Infrastructure, from July 2008 to August 2020. During the same period, he was seconded as an Administrator and Accounting Officer for the North West Provincial Public Works and Roads Department under the section 100 (1) b intervention. Mr Thobakgale has also held various senior management roles in government, including:
- Deputy Director-General: Project Management Office in the National Department of Public Works and Infrastructure (May 2015 – April 2018)
- Acting Deputy Director-General: Construction Project Management in the National Department of Public Works and Infrastructure (May 2016 – November 2017)
- Head of Department in the Department of Public Works and Roads (August 2013 – January 2015)
- Acting Head of Department: Infrastructure Advisory and Support Services in the Department of Public Works, Roads and Transport (March 2012 – August 2013)
- Senior Associate at Africa Institute for Leadership Development and Electoral Reform and Macmilton Consulting (April 2011 – February 2012)
- Deputy Director-General: Integrated Economic Development in the Department of Economic Development, Environment and Tourism, Limpopo Province (August 2009 – April 2011)
- Head of Department: Public Works, Limpopo Province (July 2008 – July 2009)
- Head of Department: Safety, Security and Liaison, Limpopo Province (2005 – June 2008)
- Chief of Staff In the office of the MEC for Safety, Security and Liaison (January 2005 – November 2005)
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in the Department of Local Government and Housing (May 2004 – December 2004)
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO) in the Department of Sports and Culture (February 2003 – April 2004)
Between 2009 and 2011, Mr Thobakgale served as a member in various boards, including the Trade investment Board, Limpopo Economic Development Enterprise Board, Limpopo Business Support Agency Board and Limpopo Tourism Board amongst others.
He had a privilege to manage educational, economic, transport, marine and infrastructure programmes over illustrious career. His work has involved high and low level strategy development and execution, advisory, stakeholder relations, negotiations, and contract management.
Mr Thobakgale has a Bachelor of Commerce Degree from University of KwaZulu-Natal (2001), Bachelor of Commerce Honours from the University of South Africa (UNISA) which he obtained in 2009. He holds two Post-graduate Diplomas in Prevention of Fraud and Corruption, and Executive Development Programme. He also has a Post-graduate certificate in Crime Prevention. He is currently pursuing a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) Degree with the University of Johannesburg.